Based off of my concept drawings I began modelling. I believed that the easiest method for the design I wanted would be to build with individual blocks, I took reference from the capsule tower in Tokyo which has detachable pods and also architecture by Herzog & DeMeuron.
I built up the structure with various different shapes and sizes of blocks. I then added textures by using the aistandard shader and applying a clay texture preset which I got from the solid angle website.
I needed to clean up the presentation of the blocks as some were not placed properly, it took quite a long time to reach an aesthetic I liked. Once i did this I added some other features such as glass balconies. I wanted to show the building with lights, at first I added some extra edge loops so I could texture the faces to glass, I then added lights behind them as show in the picture below however I found out that it wasn’t a good idea to put loads of lights in a scene as it would drastically increase render time.
I then found out I could texture faces as a Blinn and edit some attributes to give the impression of a light without greatly increasing the render time.
I also made some circle windows inspired by the capsule tower
I added the trains to the scene which I had created earlier in the project. I originally used a locator to move the train but they caused be a small amount of trouble so I ended up applying the movement to the train itself as it was only moving along the y axis.
I added different kinds of wires into my scene which I created at an earlier date.
I duplicated my original building and rotated it through grouping all the blocks and centering the pivot so that they were all show from different angles achieving an organised but messy feel. I played around with the composition of the buildings a lot to try and create a built up environment from my cameras perspective. From a birds eye view they form a sort of pentagon with a relatively equal distance between them.
I added a couple of Dermott and James’ buildings in to create a background and composed them in a way to show the great scale that their buildings were compared to my lesser in size living quarters.
Once my buildings were lined up in a fashion I like I took a screen cap and applied it to a polygon plane to create background depth and to give the allusion of more buildings.
I placed a camera in my scene which I thought complemented the composition of the scene. The camera was set to move vertically and rotate on it’s x axis slowly from the bottom to the top of the scene. I edited the graph to create a smooth transition for the camera. Here is the curve;
Here are some Arnold renders with different lighting, trying out cold and warm colours.
In the end I used four lights which I know is quite a lot, I experimented with lights and how adding additional planes around the scene to reflect light would affect it but for the aesthetic I wanted I added additional lights to ensure I was happy with how it looked. I used three area lights and a skydome light which resulted in these colours;
I also added fog which seemed to affect the lighting.
Rendering was new experience which definitely cased a few issues… I completed a render at a low quality and took my a long time to render in the optimum quality. I also didn’t realise if you render with tiffs anything not covered in the frame of the render will be white which led me to add a couple extra polygon planes int my scene. Eventually I figured it out and was able to render my scene in the highest of qualities and I have learned a lot about rendering in the process.