Here’s a weird portrait of Dermott I painted while he was sitting across from me, it’s kind of relevant. Its very flat and blurry but looks kind or artsy, I wanted to try and understand the volumes in his face better for the last.
Sculpting in Mudbox
I messed around with the software for a bit, I tried to mark out bone structure as I saw in one of my reference videos.
Dermott and i used his camera and tripod to take lots of pictures of our head rotations so we knew what we’d be modelling.
Here I’ve started to create the sculpt for Dermotts’ head, starting with the base human head mesh was really helpful. I used the grab tool to pull out the main masses of the head to a more realistic volume.
I thought I would start creating the facial features
I’ve started to mock out the lips here, looks like Dermott is puckering up. I’m using the wax brush to apply volume to the sculpt and the inverted foamy tool to add detail, I’m also a big fan of the smooth tool, maybe too much of a fan…
Adding in some more facial features like the eyes and some ear detail
I thought I could sculpt the head without adding my reference images to the scene but I knew there was some inaccuracies that I wanted to clean up so I added a reference image to my front facing and side camera’s.
I had the ears in the wrong place so I had to pull them down and edit the mesh.
Fixed up the ear using Dermott’s side profile picture. At this stage I have most of the detail i plan to do done as i don’t know the retopology to get too complicated.
I had some trouble with behind the ears of my model, I was reluctant to split my mesh again, I was getting jagged lines, I smoothed these as best as I could without compromising the shape of the ears.
As you can see in the image below I had a similar issue with the parting of the mouth.
Here I have began to add more unevenness to the sculpt, faces aren’t perfectly symmetrical so i wanted to look more closely at my reference pictures and identify what elements of his face weren’t symmetrical like a small bulge on one side of his nose.
I widened the jaw a small amount upon Alec’s suggestion, I think the sculpt has a relatively decent resemblance to Dermott. H
Retopology in Maya
I watched this video which was great help, just to see the oder that this person used
Dermott suggested I used one of these reference pictures as it shows in colour the pattern of the mesh.
I’m reduced my polycount down to 500,000 from suggestion of Allistair who help me import the file into Maya as I was having trouble. This worked and so I was good to start my retopology. I made the sculpt surface i imported’Live’ and then started using my quad draw tool to create some polygons/
I realised here that I’d been doing the eye incorrectly, I was not intending to make a spidey suit.
Heavy on the polygons, hoped this wouldn’t cause me any bother (it did). I quite liked how my ear turned out so I was ambitious to keep the shape clear to the end.
I think the face mesh is coming along nicely.
Some shots of the re-topo smoothed out with the omission of some polygons and of course half a head.
Here’s my retopology I’ve tried to follow the references, I think there is logic behind the topology as i followed the structure in the structure in my references for the most part. the range of polygon sizes which I used when creating my head has given me bother but given the time that I had left to finish the project I think I made it work. There are some mess ups in the mesh that Im not happy with.
I selected the edge vertices in the front camera mode in maya and I turned on snapping. I snapped these vertices to the gird so that they were all even across the axis, i made some fixes to edges and vertices that had messed up. I then duplicated the half head in object mode, I selected the scale tool and pulled the side of the head the opposite direction and it easily inverted for me, I scaled both halves to a very similar size and the combined them.
This gets really messy as I tried to reduced the number of polygons as they moved away from the ear, there’s definitely a more efficient way for this to be done.
I added a couple of spheres behind the eyes to be eyeballs.
Messy work behind the ears could have been work on longer or had more subdivisions added.
Imaging Data and Visualisation Reflection
I’ve really enjoyed this module. I’ve worked hard for it, the floating city project was very enjoyable, I loved the freedom that we had, that we could look at the statistics and interpret the design in whatever way we wanted, looking back at the project I think if i was to make any changes it would probably be with my process, I probably had 300 ‘pcubes’ lined up in my outliner, I think my team had a good grasp on the project and although we had some technical hiccups we came out with a successful outcome. I really enjoyed viewing my classmates floating city projects, it’s interesting to see the different approaches people take to a project and how others are progressing with the software. This module has involved some really interesting lessons such as when me learned to make blend shapes, it has helped me widen my knowledge of maya. The most recent project, the head sculpt, was very enjoyable, the sculpting in particular was really fun to do. The biggest issue I probably had with the project was time management, I was quite rushed in the end to finish the topology which meant that it wasn’t at the standard I wanted my final project to be, despite this I feel I have achieved a likeness to Dermott who I sculpted, I would really like to sculpt more things over the summer break. Looking back I have really enjoyed this module and I know I’ll be able to take the skills I have learned and apply them in future projects, my own or in university. Thank you Alec for taking the Module!